Friday, December 28, 2007

anticipation is more than half of the fun

Often the anticipation of an event is the best part. The older I get, the more ok with that I am. After years of not having my birthday live up to my (admittedly high) expectations, I have come to realize that I can simply enjoy the possibilities and excitement that leads up to the event. As an example, a dear friend sent me a Starbucks giftcard a few months back. It took me forever to actually spend it because I savored the possibility that came with it for so long. It made me happy just knowing that if I really needed it, I could treat myself to Starbucks at any time.
So it is with Christmas. I love the joy that comes with unpacking the ornaments and their accompanying memories, decorating the house, having the Christmas lights on most of the time, baking, and the preparations for each party and present exchange. And this year, with two kids, and two extended families to celebrate with was especially busy, and perhaps not as wonderful as all the songs I’ve been immersed in claimed it would be. I just find it hard with all the “to-do”s to actually find time to slow down and enjoy the treasures of Christmas. I want to make more space next year for our own small family celebration and for making sure that our children do understand that Christmas is about baby Jesus and not present upon present. I could already see a kind of greed starting to form in Lauren as she looked for yet another present to open…and I didn’t like it. I was tempted to only have her open one present a day so she could just enjoy exploring each one—is that awfully Grinch-y of me? For Jackson, simplicity ruled the day: the wrapping paper alone was gift enough.

1 comment:

prof said...

to keep the focus strongly on God's Christmas Gift will be a life-long challenge in our culture but a worthy struggle to pursue; blessings!