Thursday, December 6, 2007

What We'll Do For a Christmas Tree

Matt always grew up with a freshly cut Christmas tree and wanted to continue this tradition in our family. The last few years we've been going with two other families and cutting our trees together. This year we each had a 2 year old in a sled and a baby in a front pack. It went quite well, despite the cold rain that began falling as we waited for the truck to pick us and our trees up! I was amazed--the babies didn't cry and the toddlers had a blast being on their sleds. Quite a feat if you ask me.


(a large fir kept us somewhat dry)


I always love Christmastime but I have a whole new appreciation of the festivities this year as I watch Lauren's excitement at snow, ornaments, decorating (and eating) cookies, Christmas lights, wrapping presents.

We have a book on the true meaning of Christmas and she's definitely embraced the concept of baby Jesus. (I asked, out of curiousity, whether Santa was real, and she scoffed "No!" That's not to say she can't believe in Santa at some point, but I thought that was funny.) Her favorite hymn is "Away in a Manger"--I think because she likes the part about the stars in the night sky look down from on high...if we're in her room she looks up at her glow-in-dark stars, if we're in the car she looks outside, and if neither, she says "I can't see them!"

No comments: