Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday | Embracing Discipline for Lent

This morning in chapel we had the imposition of ashes, a Catholic tradition that we Protestants have embraced as a physical sign that marks the beginning of Lent.



Lent is a season where, as disciples or followers of Christ, we turn our hearts to the road Christ walked before his death. For that reason, it is typically a time of repentance and discipline.

Discipline. I admit I've never been a big fan of the word, nor its practice. But to be a better disciple, I need to embrace discipline in my life, to clear out the clutter and the distractions that so often prevent me from following Christ.

There are a few matters of discipline that I have marked for this 40 day period so far. While they may be small, I hope they will help me refocus my attention and my desires:

1) I've deleted Words with Friends from my life. It was a fun little distraction that was starting to eat up too much of my time and attention.

2) I will be more intentional about the use of technology (specifically my phone) and choosing when I use it, rather than allowing it to take over throughout the day.

3) I will continue to exercise 3 times a week. This is something that has not been a consistent discipline in my life and that I've been working on recently. I'm already feeling healthier, more positive, and have more energy.

4) I will continue to embrace Screenfree Sundays. This has been a bit more challenging with two smartphones in the house, but we will exclude any texting, TV, computer time, or any other screen use, for at least the hours from sunrise to sundown.

5) I was invited to participate in a 40 bags in 40 days challenge I am looking forward to forcing myself to get rid of that which we don't actually need and the freedom that less STUFF will allow us!

Here's my list for the 40 Day Challenge, which I am linking up to over at the Terpblog:

As I was told with the imposition of the ashes: Let us repent and believe the good news!

1 comment:

Katie @ the terpblog said...

Awesome post, Lisa! I admire your discipline and I love your ideas. I hope to embrace some of them as well (especially since one of my favorite WwF's opponents is taking a time-out ;) )