Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dedgy & Free

This has been a rough year on trees, and especially for those of us who tend to see trees as possessing human qualities. (narnia, anyone?) A winter with many heavy snows followed by high winds and fierce rains this sping have resulted in a number of toppled trees. Thanks to the emerald ash borer, even more dead and diseased trees have been taken down--we've watched the process several times from the front window and Lauren proclaimed that the trees were crying. I understood...I felt awful when we had to cut down so many of our trees to clear a place for our house to be built.
This past weekend our neighbor, who happens to be on vacation, had two trees fall on her house. Fortunately they are very tall, and not very wide, so the impact caused only superficial damage. (unlike what would happen if the large beech over our bedroom were to fall...but let's not go there) So we notified her family and they set to removing the trees. After church this morning, our family was walking about, surveying the damage, and I started noting other trees that Kathy would likely cut down to avoid this type of event in the future. I noticed a lone tree trunk standing bravely-it looks like the giving tree when all the branches have been cut off except it is pocked with holes and knots all the way to the top, which is broken off. I said something about it and Matt noticed a little face sticking out of a hole about 20 feet up. Upon closer inspection, we realized that the tree houses several baby racoons, which were taking turns poking their faces out to look down at us. They were so cute--reminded me of Siberian Husky puppies. Lauren named them "Dedgy" and "Free." I think the tree enjoys having them there. :)

No comments: