I recently got a night out while Matt watched the kids and attended Calvin's production of Godspell. I didn't know anything about it really, just that it was a musical about the gospel. It turns out it's more of a "What if Jesus came in the 1970s?" At first I was a bit taken aback by the irreverence (especially this one character who's super flirtacious with Jesus) but then I decided to just take it in and it turned out to be pretty powerful. What really stood out was the way that Jesus loved the disciples (and us) so thoroughly despite our completely sinful and foolish natures. And secondly, more importantly, was just the simple point that Christ calls us to die to ourselves that we might live in him. Death to self. That is so very, very counter cultural that I think the message can't be driven home enough. It's like we need constant reminders...or at least I know I do. If I could just live that out on a daily, hourly basis, I think all my frustrations would disappear. I'd be a much better person and much more content. So I'm hoping to work on that. It's not about me, it's about Jesus. So simple, so obvious, yet I'm so thankful for being reminded through this little production.
Interestingly enough, I found a posting on this same subject on my cousin's blog...good stuff http://geoffbaron.wordpress.com/page/4/ (scroll down to june 26)
No comments:
Post a Comment