Wow. Has it really been over a year since I've blogged?
It has. A full year...a year where, throughout the highs and lows, the busyness and the transitions, the worries and the joys, I've reminded myself often to slow down and just breathe.
I've grown...and in subtle ways I'm a different person than I was a year ago. I'm just that much more comfortable in my own skin, a little more grounded and yet still full of ideals and passions and foibles and flaws. And it's time. Time for a new word.
And so. The word I've embraced for this year is invest. A word flexible enough to be applied to many aspects of life. How am I investing in my marriage? In my children? In my church? My work? My self?
You see, I'm a yes girl. I like to get involved, I like to jump in, I love to meet new people, I love to make friends. I love to learn, and wish I could read everything I get my hands on. I actually like committee meetings, well....mostly. I just like to be involved. To make a difference. To make the world a better place.
I also tend to be a bit scattered. Because I say yes easily, because I care about many people and many things, I do find myself spread too thin at times. I'm juggling lots of balls and sometimes I let a ball drop.
So this year I want to focus on learning where and how to commit myself well. I'm trying to figure out where I want to invest my time, my passion, my energy, my heart and to see those choices as an investment.
To invest: to use, give, or devote (time, talent, etc.), as for a purpose or to achieve something.
The flip side of choosing this word is that I will need to know when to say no. I give myself permission to say no more this year, because I am choosing where and how to invest myself.
And I've started out the year with an exciting development. I've always wanted to get my master's (remember the I love to learn part) but didn't know what field to pursue. Last month I discovered a field I'm truly excited about and found a program related to youth & faith formation. I am already taking my first class in this direction and am excited to see where this leads. After a year of health concerns and worries, I'm excited at the prospect of having a focus for my future.
And I'm also thinking about how we invest our time & money as a family. About how our family pursuits shouldn't be all about us and our benefit/leisure, but that we, as a family,can work to make the world a better place. We recently spent time hanging out with the homeless families who were staying at our church for a week and it was an eye-opening experience that had my kids praying in new and moving ways. I want to do more of this type of thing. We continue to sponsor children through World Vision, and as an extension of this word invest, I'm so excited about the work that Kiva is doing and look forward to seeing how our first loan will help others make their own investments.
How about you? Where are you investing this year?
No comments:
Post a Comment